Do I need special insurance for my home computers?

In many cases, yes! This is especially important to consider now that many homes have multiple computers. Check with your insurance agent, but most home insurance policies have coverage limitations for computers, laptops, monitors, printers, external hard drives or backup devices, and the like, as well as for jewelry, art, collectibles, and other items. Typically your agent can recommend a "rider" that covers replacement costs for your computer equipment.

Of course, even if a damaged or stolen computer is replaced, one still needs a backup of important data and digital photographs.

December 2008

Send this article to a friend!
Subscribe to The ITS Connection

Related articles