To perform certain Microsoft FrontPage functions, you may need to be logged into your web server,
live, from within FrontPage. For instance, to enable or disable password permissions for certain
folders (directories), you would need to be logged in to your web server.
Important: FrontPage password permissions can be applied only to accounts that are on our shared UNIX web hosting platforms.
To log in to your web server from within FrontPage, follow these steps:
- Start FrontPage.
- On the FrontPage toolbar, click File and then click Open. The Open File dialog box will be displayed.
- In the File name text box, type either the domain name or the IP address of the site you want to work on. Be sure that "http://" is at the beginning of the file name. For example, if your domain name was teamITS.com, you would type http://www.teamITS.com in the text box.
- Click Open. After a brief delay, a username and password dialog box will be displayed.
- In the dialog box, type your hosting account's Control Panel username and FrontPage password
and click OK. A list of files, folders, and sub-webs will be displayed.
TIP: Unless it has been changed previously through FrontPage, the FrontPage password will be the same as your hosting account's Control Panel password.
- Click Open. You can now modify or work on your site's folders and pages directly on the server.
If you encounter any difficulty performing the above-mentioned steps, contact technical support to make sure that the necessary FrontPage extensions have been installed properly.
Please note: the information on this page applies to ITS web hosting plans. It may or may not apply to other environments. If you are looking for a feature described here, or better support from your hosting provider, please consider hosting your site with ITS!
Naperville, IL 60563